Thursday, November 15, 2012

I wrote this down years later...


The wind was cold and brutal against her face. She climbed the steep hill as fast as she could. The terrain seemed to be wishing that she fell. She felt the ground shake, as if it was taking a hard beating.

In the next second, horses flitted around above her. They were rampaging down the giant hill, headed towards her. They didn’t seem to be attacking…her. The men on the horses looked ferocious, but they didn’t even seem to notice the girl standing in the middle of them. A twang of a bow rang out from behind her and a horse hit the dirt. The man in the saddle fell, hitting the earth with force, the horse lying on top of him.

Screaming with rage she didn’t understand, she turned around and raced down the hill.  An arrow was flung toward her, making her stumble and fall down the hill. She bounced up at the bottom and was assaulted by three men. It would be a fight to the death. And she would come out alive.

Rage burned inside her and tears welled up on the corner of her eyes. She didn’t understand the feeling, even though she knew she knew him, she had no idea who the man on the horse had been. Just thinking about it made her blood boil. She could wield a sword, yes, but that was pretty much it. How would she defeat these three swordsmen? She needed a miracle. She wasn’t going to get one.

The man closest to her thrust his sword at her, which somehow, amazingly, she parried. But, she wasn’t expecting the second blade. It plunged into her stomach. She fell to the ground.

Smack! I landed on the cold hard ground. I had hit my head on the fall. I sat up blearily, in a cold sweat from my dream, my heart still racing. What could that have been? Hopefully not a premonition. I had just been killed by my father otherwise.

Still blinking rapidly, I sat up and climbed back onto my cot, covering up in my blankets once more.

Sleep soon took her again and when she woke up in the morning, she remembered nothing of the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment