Thursday, February 7, 2013

Welcome?


With Jake pointing the way, I walked into the biggest longhouse, which was only a little bigger than my father’s tent. I felt slightly intimidated, but refused to show any emotion on my face.

Inside were a few people. Some of them seemed to be my age. One was looking at me intently. He had brown hair and green eyes. I grudgingly noticed that he was handsome. I felt that just being good looking was a battle won for them.

I continued forward and was sat down in front of a man.

“Found her in the forest,” Jake said to the man. “General’s daughter.”

He was sitting in an ornately carved chair, smiling at me. He had dark brown hair with a bit of stubble on his chin. He had a sword on his belt, with a long coat covering the faded silver designs on the sheath. His eyes were hazelnut and friendly. I looked up at Jake and saw the resemblance. The same eyes, same nose, and same curly hair.

“Oh, and you say I look like my parent,” I muttered at Jake as he leaned down and untied my hands.

“Perceptive, young one. So, what are you doing way out in the forest?” the man asked politely

“Well, I heard it was just so lovely looking this time of year,” I answered, and then snapped, “What do you think? I was hunting!”

“Fiery young one. How old are you?” he asked, seeming unperturbed by my sarcasm.

“Sixteen. Why’s it matter?”

“What’s your name?”

“What’s yours?” I shot back.

“David Canelson. Now will answer my question?”

“Alex Kline, Alex Gorday, and Alex, daughter of Carmen are all the choices you have for you today,” I said pleasantly and then rolled my eyes at Jake. He seemed to be in his early thirties, which meant David was somewhere near fifty, but he looked closer to thirty. If it weren’t for the streaks of gray around the temple, I would have thought he was Jake’s brother.

“Jake, you never could keep your mouth shut, could you?” David sighed. Jake grinned guiltily at me. I scowled at him, but I knew it wasn’t real. I liked Jake. He was funny and charming. He was like an older brother. Only he was my captor.

“So, how much has he told you about your real parents?” David asked, sighing resignedly.

“Pretty much zero,” I answered. “All I know is that I look a heck lot like her and her name was Carmen. Other than that, I have no idea.”

“Do you want to go back to the Kline’s?” he asked, startling me.

“Um, I don’t know. I guess, a little. They did raise me after the real ones ditched me,” I answered uncertainly.

“Jake,” he turned on his son. “Did you blindfold her on her way here?”

Jake opened his mouth then shut it.

“Cardinal rule,” I whispered. “Never let the captive see how to get back.” He looked at me, glaring, but he was smiling all the same.

“Well, Alex, I believe this means you are stuck with us. Welcome to the Kahule.”

No comments:

Post a Comment