Monday, May 6, 2013

Secrets


Another week went by and I fell sick. I could barely get out of bed, let alone have a rematch against Nick. He had visited me once already, but I pretended to be asleep. The medicine woman, Kwin, took good care of me. Kwin had thick white hair and pale blue eyes. She treated me like a daughter. It was a feeling I had never really known.

Right now, I could hear Kwin and Nick talking. He was demanding to see me.

“No. She needs rest,” Kwin said simply.

“I need to talk to her,” he replied.

“You can’t visit her anytime you want, no matter what has been said,” Kwin answered with a touch of amusement.

“She doesn’t know yet, does she?” he asked, suddenly quiet.

“No. I will tell her soon. But since you do not need to have a conversation while she is resting, you may write down anything you need to say on paper and I’ll make sure she gets it,” Kwin promised then walked to my room.

“What were you talking about?” I asked in a rough voice.

“Nothing sweetheart,” Kwin said soothingly.

“But-” I started and was cut off by a hacking cough.

“Here, take this, you’ll feel better,” Kwin said, handing me a small glass with something red and sticky in it.

“What in Sanjua is that?” I asked, feeling the fight leave me.

“It is what’s going to make you feel better. Now drink it,” she ordered. I obeyed and drank the entire glass. It was sickly sweet and tasted of grapefruit. I slowly became dreamy and was soon asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment